1080p/4K remuxes works locally but not remotely

No. You can use as much bandwidth as you want - but you pay for the egress past 10GB/month (the free limit). How much you pay depends on where the data is going. Inside the same continent like EU or US is cheap, like 0.01USD/GB, but if you sent it to China or Australia it costs more pr GB.

The nice part about GCP and similar services is your resource are basically unlimited. You just have to decide how much you are willing to pay for. A low-end hardware server that doesn't send a lot of data out will have a trivial cost or even be free. If you need powerful hardware to process data, a lot of local storage and send many TB of data out from the server in a month then it will start to cost a lot more.

As I said, you get a 300USD (or I think 200USD in some areas) by default just by signing up and accepting it. Then you can see what the costs are in practice without actually having to pay them for the coming year (as you are very unlikely to use more than 300USD of credits in a year I think).

It is well worth to have a read on Google's pricing model to understand what costs money and how much... For example, here is the network pricing:
https://cloud.google.com/compute/all-pricing#network_pricing

While I haven't done this myself I imagine it would be very doable to run a low-volume personal Plex server on the cheap in GCP or another cloud. It would cost a few bucks a year, but that might realistically be much cheaper than running a home server. I mean... even electricity costs something ya know ? :slight_smile:

That is a lot of information on that page, would need some time to read and digest. Thanks for all the pointers!

Sure - happy to help.

Give it a read and let me know if/when you need more guidance.

That is odd. One time I tried to download a 150GiB file and rclone only let me download it 2 times before I got a bunch of API error then GD threw me that the file download quota had reached download limit. Given that the API is mine and has not been used for several days, and the account quota is still has 300-400 GiB left.

I have not tried to download any big files several times again, but this phenomenon also happens when I watch a big remux file (50GiB+) and use seeking several times, the file just stucks and showing it has reached download limit for the day.

For me, the only way to stream big remux smoothly through GD with rclone is just let it play, and do not using seek.

The daily download quota published on Google is 10TB. They don't seem to publish single file limits though.

You might be using an old version of rclone if that's the case. If you want to check that out, open up a new thread since we're hijacking this one.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.